Arthritis and your cat
Arthritis is a condition that leads to pain and progressive degeneration of the joints.¹ It affects many aspects of a cat’s life, including limiting mobility, causing sore joints, and ultimately a poor quality of life. Signs can often be subtle, and you may never notice lameness in your cat. It is important to look out for other signs like a change in behaviour. This may include defecating outside the litter box, hesitating when jumping, and/or difficulty grooming. Cats in discomfort may also elect to sleep in areas of the house that do not require stairs to minimise movement. Arthritis is common in cats of all sizes, ages and breeds, so it is important to monitor your cat's behaviour from a young age. Did you know that ~40% of all cats have clinical signs of osteoarthritis (OA)?² Fortunately there is a new therapy available to help keep your cat comfortable and enjoying a good quality of life for as long as possible!³
What is Solensia, and how does it work?
Solensia is an innovative new therapy called a Monoclonal Antibody. It is a biological therapy that works like your cat’s own immune system. It targets and neutralises a protein that stimulates pain in patients with arthritis. Through this action, one Solensia injection alleviates pain for a month in addition to the benefit of a proven and positive safety profile.³
What can I expect from my cat's treatment with Solensia?
- Increased mobility and decreased level of pain.4
- Improved quality of life.5
- Reassurance your cat is getting lasting pain relief for a month.
- Solensia can be used with other common therapies (e.g. vaccines, flea & tick products, antibiotics).²
How is Solensia given?
Solensia is an easy and convenient subcutaneous injection administered every month by your veterinarian. This convenient mode of administration removes the need and the challenge of medicating your cat daily.6
How long is Solensia given for?
If we have prescribed Solensia, it means that your cat has been diagnosed with arthritis and is in pain. Arthritis is a life-long, painful disease which cannot be cured and will progress over time. It can, however, be effectively managed thanks to Solensia. It is therefore important to stay on top of your cat’s monthly injections and visit us in a timely manner to ensure your beloved cat gets their next injection when needed and remains comfortable!6
If you think your cat may benefit from Solensia then please don't hesitate to give us a call. We'd love to talk to you in person about this treatment and answer any questions or queries you may have.
1. Johnston SA. Osteoarthritis: joint anatomy, physiology and pathobiology. Vet Clin N Am Small Anim Pract. 1997; 27:699-723.
2. Enomoto M, Lascelles BDX, Gruen ME. Development of a checklist for the detection of degenerative joint disease-associated pain in cats. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery. 2020; 22 (12):1137-1147.
3. Solensia product leaflet (Australia), April 2022.
4. Gruen ME, Myers JAE, Tena JS, Becskei C, Cleaber DM, Lascelles BDX. Frunevetmab, a felinized anti-nerve growth factor monoclonal antibody, for the treatment of pain from osteoarthritis in cats. J Vet Intern Med. 2021 Nov.
5. Benito J, Gruen ME, Thomson A, et al. Owner assessed indices of quality of life in cats and the relationship to the presence of degenerative joint disease. J Feline Med Surg 2012;14:863-870.
6. Zoetis Australia Pty Ltd. Level 6, 5 Rider Boulevard, Rhodes NSW 2138. © 2022 Zoetis Inc. All rights reserved. May 2022. MM-20515.